Wednesday, January 5, 2011

RiotGirl Collection Featured Item: The Roslyn Purse

The RiotGirl Collection


Each one of the accessories that I designed in my RiotGirl Collection represents a strong woman in my life.  (Consequently, I called it the "RiotGirl" collection after a punk fashion movement in the mid to late 70s/early 80s).


I absolutely am enamored of that era.  My two favorite designers, Vivienne Westwood and Betsey Johnson, got their newbie starts in that era...and basically blazed a huge path for self taught designers, like myself.  


I figure that it's only fitting that I give reverence to the women in my family, all of whom have shaped my life for one reason or another...mostly for the creative inspirations...and for the empowerment.


They were/are all RiotGirls, really...each in her own way.


The Featured Item:


Alexander Henry's Swirly Girl Illusion cotton fabric reminded me of the early 1970s because it is very "Charlie's Angelic". 

It also reminded me of a very important woman in my life: she is an artist; she is my biggest cheerleader; she is a positive influence; she is a creative force; she has taught me everything I know about my craft; and she's my mother.

As I am a child of the early 1970s, I recall platform shoes and bell bottoms and macro minis (and maxi dresses). 



I also recall that my mother, very patiently, taught me how to sew and to appreciate art when I was a little girl. 

Now that I'm grown - I decided nothing would do but a super groovy hip purse had to be made in her honor. 


Modeled after several purses from the 1970s that my mother actually carried - this is the perfect handbag for running "to and fro" and "here and there" - made especially for that person on the go who needs little more than a tube of lipgloss and some car keys. 

(Ok...there is a bit more space in the bag for more...as the modern go-getter also needs a cell phone....)



This particular fabric is now quite rare. 


I gave the Swirlie Girlies their own stardom by carefully encasing them in recycled clear plastic. The interior of the purse is lined with a synthetic moire satin. 


The handles are lucite and metal. (I kept it cotton and synthetically lined so that I could categorize it as a vegan product).

No comments:

Post a Comment