Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Memorial Neck Tie Coin Purses (Part One)

It's difficult to lose a loved one. Not only that, but often we are left with the stuff. And the stuff can take over our lives and often manifest itself in a physical sadness that needs to be stored and dusted. It can actually sometimes even take over our lives much like those individuals featured on "Hoarders". I feel hard for those folks. They live in their own sadness like they live in a castle with a moat. It pains me.

I constantly reinvent myself as an artist. Which is not to say that I one day decide to be a dancer or a lawyer (although it is sometimes relevant. My parents are a dancer and a lawyer and they are often inspiration for my art). I'm all mixed media all the time.  That often leads me to be an architect, a painter, a sculptor, a stitcher, a drafter, a jewelry artisan and the like. It allows me the creative freedom to help my clients express themselves. I listen carefully to the message they want to say and then help them say it.

Every once in a while I get to "pay it forward" as an artist. Not meaning work for free necessarily, as I often volunteer for community art projects, but sometimes commissioned pieces can be really satisfying and wonderful. For example, my current client's father passed away and she had several of his neckties that she wanted me to make into coin purses so that she could give them as Christmas gifts. I'd never been officially asked to do a memorial piece before, so I was really honored.

Memorial items are a wonderful way to use the stuff and still remember the person. I call it "respectful recycling".

Here is the beginning of the Memorial Necktie Coin Purse  journal. The pictures are a bit outdated since I'm further along in the process, but I wanted to post today.







There are eight of them in total. (Nine ties total. There is also a solid black on that I plan to use for the lining of however many purses I can) The client provided the hardware.


Each kiss clasp had a different color or attribute, so I first  matched up each frame with each tie. The ties themselves are a beautiful time capsule of menswear. I love the one with the Spartan warriors. That one is my favorite, admittedly. They are all really great vintage and contemporary pieces, though. Some silk and handmade, some not. All vibrant and colorful.


Now since it is a coin purse, I won't be posting the pattern, per se.  I drafted it from several free online patterns that are available from quilting websites that I follow. I got permission to use the pattern.

However, I do have several construction recommendations. First, it is recommended that you photograph the items and look at them before you cut them out. If you want to change the color assignments with the kiss clasps, it's easier to do while the ties are still whole so that you can see the neckties and the little detail beads in the right lighting.













 Secondly - I highly recommend that you reserve some of the material and connect it to the tie with a safety pin so that you don't lose your place - or worse - come back later and forget your plan.











Stay tuned for part two. I'm about two weeks ahead of myself in construction and pictures...so....worry not...I will include more construction photos.

Until next time readers, stay savvy and stay creative.

E







1 comment:

  1. how's it coming Erin ... you've peaked my interest, therefore, I'm more anxious!!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete