Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Talking Cure: The Thrifting Game

The Galvanometer

Phase II – Rummaging and Thrifting


I had my groovy list of the important pieces: The Conduction Paddles; The Galvanometer Base Instrument/Control Center; The Stopwatch and Case; The Bell Jar Receptor; The Slide Rule; and the Optical Tower. I drafted a rough sketch for the director's approval.

Timing is always of the essence in a theatrical production – especially if the actors need to practice with it.

First, I created a mock up. It helped me to determine what it is I could make and with what materials. This is also something I eventually turned over to the actors for their use in rehearsal.




So. The thrifting. Budget. Budget. Budget....and budget are so important.

Hollywood had an enviable gorgeous wooden and lacquer and brass machine. I had to keep it lean which meant: Salvation Army, Etsy, Ebay, garage sales, Craigslist, Goodwill and my ever present stash of broken vintage jewelry and odd Steampunkery.

Here's what I scored:

The Conduction Paddles. Two vintage cutting boards and two 6" x 6" Red Brass 26 gauge Sheets



The Galvanometer Base Instrument/Control Center. Vintage Cigar Box with brass latch and brass hinges and an old brass and glass barometer



The Stopwatch and Case. Dilapidated Plastic Vintage Looking Watch and the box in which it came. Martha Stewart craft paint. Guilder's Paste. Scrap Leather. Broken base metal filigree belt



The Bell Jar Receptor. An old brass and glass thermometer and a 1990s glass and brass colored plastic dome clock



The Slide Rule. A vintage ruler and some assorted wood and metal whatnot from my jewelry making collection

The Optical Tower. Copper piping; copper tubing; old oiled copper jewelry display; 30 gauge wire and a vacuum tube




The vacuum tube, being from a radio, is not at all period...but it looks pretty close to the bulb that they used. I had to decorate it a little to make it look more authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment