Saturday, January 22, 2011

New Office, New Equipment, New Goals: The Power Week

Day 22.  (REALLY?  Already?  FML. You know...why didn't time go this fast when I wanted to turn 21?  I remember THAT taking FOREVER. But now?  I cannot have a detour in self employment without turning around and seeing a freakin' week go by).


Had an exciting week. 


Exorcising The Dust Devil. Replaced the shelves.  Yep.  That's right. Had to. Because they were falling off of the wall.  Yes. All of them.  In my shop.  Nothing puts a cramp in building assembly quite like the slow decline of the storage area. So it all had to go lest it tear (literally) a hole in the wall.


Let me tell you a little something about plaster dust.  It. Gets. Everywhere.  My hepafilter is churning and my eyes still burn.  Plaster dust is a wily little devil. 


But - I exorcised it and banished it all to the pits of hell from whence it came by channeling a strong female archetype from my family:  My Great-Grandmother, Rosalija Kriskovich.


My Croatian Great-Grandmother Rosalija was from Novi Vinodolski near Rijeka on the coast.  She stood at 5'11" tall and could lift an armoire over her head majestically. She was strong.  Stoic.  And had little patience for dirt.


I follow in her footsteps as our family's resident stitcher. She taught me a lot about my craft and about how to get things done.  So.  Out of respect, I called upon her in my moment of battle with the Devil made of plaster dust. 


The answer was clear.  Hand-floor mopping.  Hands and knees. She did it that way, as did my grandmother and my mother after her - and now I dutifully follow.


 I armed myself as she'd have done with cloth, bucket, piping hot water and soap.


I will spare you all the gory details of the day, but it made the Battle of Agincourt look like Spamalot.


The shelves are up the dust is finally gone and I can finally get back to work in my ultra chic and super clean organically savvy pet free smoke free dust free and allergen free work space


Now I have so much SPACE. It's awesome.  I emerge victorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment