Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Valentine and Button, Mine.

Day 18.  I have 18 bags only 6 of which are posted and blogged.  (Okay, okay you caught me.  I have 17. I didn't sew on New Year's Day.  I was, then, hashing out this brilliant bag-a-day plan.  So far, it's kept me on task.  The challenge is the social and photo.  More on that in a bit)

The newest challenge is implementing improvements as I go along so as not to slow down the process.  Chicagoans are typically very fashion savvy...but also extremely practical.  Why?  The weather here is just awful.  It is cold from October through and including May.  This means that not only all clothing and outerwear - but also all accessories must be efficient and sturdy. Does this mean that accessories cannot be beautiful and whimsical?  No.  But the challenge is making sure that these items can battle the domineering Mother Nature.

So I'm constantly reinventing each piece. As it stands, all of my pieces are one of a kind (even if they are similar in outward appearance and basic materials).  It just sort of happened that way. If I wanted piping, I took things apart and put it there; if I wanted a stronger zipper, I got one; if I wanted a fool proof pocket, I took the lining apart and reconfigured; and if I needed a stronger bottom structure, I found one.

This is taking blistering amounts of time away from networking and photographing, but I feel confident now that I have stronger products.  Incredibly important to me, that.

Speaking of social networking, I have to say that it is super fun. No idea what everyone in big business is complaining about.  I enjoy talking about my findings and adventures as an accessories designer. It makes me happy to tell my client and my friends what I'm up to and why I am up to it.

It is, however, truly easy to get lost in it.  I blog, I tweet, I facebook.  Most of which are already connected and post to each other all savvy like.  But now, my graphic designer says that there are even MORE social networks.

To this, I say an articulate: OMG.

I'm currently prepping for Valentine's Day Sales. So that means amping it up.  (Case in point, this is the first time I've seen 7am in a long time. Ha.)

Today is all about the bag. Erin Rose Design forges forward with the vegan line and the pet accessories line as planned, while still sticking to the bag-a-day challenge, blogging, photographing, etc.

Can it be done?  Oh yes.

To quote my friend, Button (her nickname because she is not only fashionable, but also super cute in that whole Mary Pickford sort of way):

"I don't know what this game is...but I am going to WIN"

No comments:

Post a Comment